Kigali, RWANDA – 15 NOVEMBER 2018 (F2A) – At the fifth International Conference on Family Planning, faith leaders developed a commitment statement. As a statement of support and lessons learned, it was presented in the closing plenary session by Reverend Dr. Lydia Mwaniki, Director, Theology, Family Life and Gender Justice, All Africa Conference of Churches (AACC), and Sheikh Musa Sindayigaya, Rwanda Interfaith Council for Health. The statement is below followed by a French translation.
Commitment Statement of the faith community
The faith community has learned 3 main lessons from ICFP 2018:
- We have learned about the power and success of faith-based organizations and religious leaders in contributing to the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in collaboration with other stakeholders.
- We have learned of the many opportunities that exist in achieving greater access to and uptake of family planning and look forward to the ways the faith community can continue to shape the family planning agenda, until and after 2020.
- We have acquired skills and knowledge that will help accelerate the faith communities’ actions at national, regional, and community levels.
The faith community provides enormous opportunities for progress in family planning and we make the following three commitments.
We commit to continuing to provide and support quality family planning education, service delivery, and referrals to all communities.
- We commit to advocate, sensitize, mobilize and partner with governments, traditional and other religious leaders, and stakeholders to enact policies that address lack of access to services due to distances, cost, lack of trained personnel, and insecurity.
We commit to advocate for religious leaders to address the unique issues that affect our youth in family planning.
- We have been encouraged again that we can gather many faiths together and agree on a common agenda while maintaining the integrity of our faith in serving others. We ask other delegates to commit to engaging with us and we commit to engaging with you. Thank you for this opportunity to share our commitments with you, as we all work to ensure all our communities survive and thrive.